Monday, June 23, 2014

Getting ready for the Rhine River cruise - 6 days and counting

In one week Manny and I will be on our way to Zurich, Switzerland.  After landing we will be on our way to Lucern, Switzerland for 2 days.  I am so excited.  The next stop will be Basel, Switzerland to board a Viking River Cruise ship for 7 days. Viking River Cruises  We will be visiting 4 countries - Switzerland, Germany, France and The Netherlands. What  a way to spend 10 days!!!!  Our son and daughter will not be with us.   While on the cruise Manny will be turning 50 years old. I have been waiting over one year for him to join me in the next decade.  We have been married for 23 years.  We did not go on a honeymoon because Manny's sister was returning from Operation Desert Storm, so we came back home to welcome her back.

This trip has been in the planning for over 1 year.  Manny has done all the research to find the best river cruise.  My brother (Tim) and sister-in-law (Angie) will be meeting us in Basel, Switzerland the day we board the ship.  It will be a great time to spend it will them.  This is their first time in Europe.  We were in Madrid, Spain last year.

I am trying to organize everything I need to pack before we leave.  I do not want the same issue I had when I went to Mumbai, India in February.  I forgot shampoo and other items that was needed.  When I was in Heathrow in London, I had to buy some of the items I forgot.  It will not happen on this trip.  At least I hope it will not happen.

This past weekend I bought a few new clothes.  This cruise is not a fancy black tie affair.  There is one night to dress up, but not stuffy dress.  I have new pair of pants and a few new blouses.  We bought compression packing items to reduce the space being used in the suitcase.  We are allotted 2 check-in luggage and 1 carry on luggage each.  Manny wants us to share the large suitcase and the smaller suitcase.  I don't agree, but he is worried about storing the luggage in the stateroom on the cruise ship.

I have started to pull out the clothes I need to bring.  I realize will be gone for 10 days, but I need to bring at least 14 blouses/shirts and all the pants I have.  I am bringing my nice rain jacket just in case it is raining while we are on the tours.  I will be wearing my Iowa State University zippered sweatshirt on the airplanes.   I have begun packing the makeup and toiletries, so nothing is forgotten.  At least there is less chance of forgetting any items.  Maybe I should make a list.  My mom would always make a list before big family trips and crossed each item out. My mom is a very organized person.  My dad would plan big family trips for 2 to 4 weeks in the summer.  My mom had to make sure all four kids,  one dog and themselves would have everything needed to be driving around United States.  Our dog, Judy, came with us on the family trip in the Southwest - New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Colorado.  She stayed at my grandparent's farm when we went on the family trip in the Northeast and Canada.

I doubt I will have a list written down.  It is all in my head.  Let's see what happens.  I like living on the wild side.

There is only 6 more days before we leave.  I am so excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment